AW: [Yazlist] Newbie questions: Client Application

Finston, Laurence Laurence.Finston at iwf.de
Fri Jul 14 11:25:19 CEST 2006

Thank you for your very quick response!

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: yazlist-bounces at lists.indexdata.dk [mailto:yazlist-bounces at lists.indexdata.dk] Im Auftrag von Heikki Levanto
Gesendet: Freitag, 14. Juli 2006 10:56
An: Discussion on the YAZ Z39.50 toolkit
Betreff: Re: [Yazlist] Newbie questions: Client Application

> How about

>  http://zoom.z3950.org/index.html

Thanks, I've been reading this, along with Index Data's YAZ documentation, which is excellent.  I would find it helpful if there were more examples, but I know how much work it is to write documentation.

> I don't know the term PICA, but your question sounds like it would be
> some (local?) variant of the MARC records. Have a look at

>  http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/

Thanks for the link.  I hadn't looked at that one yet.  PICA is not quite the same.  The company OCLC PICA markets a software for libraries that's widely used in Germany: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCLC_PICA
The format is similar, but not quite the same (sigh).

> Some times you can ask your server to provide the records in different
> formats. Many of them support xml as an alternative. It is probably just
> the same field numbers and tags wrapped in xml tags, but might be easier
> to handle.

I'll look into this.

> Any skill is marketable, if you find the right audience. The audience
> for Z39.50 skills is fairly narrow (libraries, library system vendors,
> etc.), but it does exist. I bet most readers on this list use some
> Z39.50 stuff in their daily work.

It's very difficult to find work in Germany, or to find work abroad from here.  Employers don't seem to be interested in the kind of programming I've done before, so I was hoping that learning Z39.50 might be lead to an opportunity opening up in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

Laurence