[Yazlist] Successful install in Ubuntu 6.06 (LTS/Dapper)?

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Sun Jul 2 01:21:51 CEST 2006

An update:

I went through the suggestions made:

1) tried the following to no avail
> If the above suggestion:
>
>     apt-get --build source yaz
>
> does not work for you, its's almost certainly because package
> dependencies and names are different on Ubuntu and plain Debian.
>
> You might want to run
>
>    apt-get source yaz
>
> only, step inside the yaz-*.*.*/debian dir and inspect the
> 'control' file, which states dependencies.

The problem turned out to be that Ubuntu ships with an earlier version
of libssl. I installed the debian stable version (libssl0.9.7 to replace
Ubuntu's libssl0.9.76):
 wget
http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/o/openssl/libssl0.9.7_0.9.7e-3sarge1_i386.deb
 sudo dpkg -i lib

Then
 sudo apt-get install yaz
 sudo apt-get install libyaz
 sudo apt-get install yaz
 sudo apt-get install libyaz-dev
 sudo pecl uninstall yaz
 sudo pecl install yaz

In the installation, I get the following warning:

> Libraries have been installed in:
> /var/tmp/pear-build-root/yaz-1.0.7/modules
>
> If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
> in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
> specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
> flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
> - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
> during execution
> - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
> during linking
> - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
> - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'
>
> See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
> more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

A check of /var/tmp/pear-build-root, however, shows that it stops there
(i.e. no /var/tmp/pear-build-root/yaz-1.0.7/ has been installed.

Any suggestions?

-d

> There you can change
> dependencies to the Ubuntu names, step back  in the yaz root dir, and run
>
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> to build Ubuntu packages with right dependencies. Some background
> reading on the Debian developer site (or Ubuntu site) to understand
> packaging issues might be very appropriate.
>

> Good luck!
>
> And please, remember to post your findings here.
>

> Marc Cromme, Index Data
>

> > You need an indexdata etch deb-src line
> > in your sources.list for this.
> >
> > I expect some packages for Dapper to become available from the indexdata
> > apt-able archive soonish, so perhaps just waiting a little longer is
> > better.
> >
> > Bye,
> >
> > Joost

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD