[Yazlist] yaz, XML and III's Z39.50 server

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.com
Fri Dec 16 01:18:37 CET 2005

Godmar Back wrote:

>On 12/15/05, Sebastian Hammer <quinn at indexdata.dk> wrote:
>

>>Btw, you can suppress the diagnostic output with the @ operator in the
>>function call. You can also use the 'type' argument to yaz_record to
>>determine the type of record before you pull it out.
>>

>What is the @operator, how would I use it, and for which function
>call?  The call to yaz_record?
>
>How would I use the 'type' argument to yaz_record to determine the
>type of the record without pulling it out? How is the type of the
>record related to my problem?

Sorry, I was too quick on the keyboard there. I meant you can use
type='syntax' to ask about the record syntax returned by the server
before making a decision about how to display it. In your case, I'd say
that's probably the smartest approach.

>In my case, a record was retrieved using the OPAC schema, but the
>record didn't have the required holdings information which made your
>conversion routine fail.  In your proposal, would that record then be
>flagged with a different type?  If so, what is the type of "OPAC"
>records that don't have holdings information and how would I use
>yaz_record to find out?

It depends. If the server actually returns those records for electronic
items in MARC, then you can just display those records as normal.. if
the server doesn't return them at all, then you need more clever logic
to go back and ask for those records in a different syntax.

Many ILS's are built on the assumption that you will first display the
records in MARC, then go back and ask for OPAC information if it's the
right kind of resource, and if the user is interested... indeed, for
some systems, the circulation status lookup is more expensive than
simple retrieval of a bibliographic record... of course, many modern
user interfaces would like to flag circulation status much earlier --
all the way out in the brief record display.

Sometimes, programmers have to be cunning.

--Sebastian