[Yazlist] Explain format... containing multiple explains

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri Nov 5 09:40:40 CET 2004

> Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:06:44 -0600
> From: "Kinra, Sandeep (END-CHI)" <sandeep.kinra at endinfosys.com>
>
> Can we have multiple explain send to client?  I know Example1 is valid
> but is Example 2 valid too?

Hi, Sandeep.  If you're just talking about the record returned in an
SRW explain response, you can't do this because by definition that
database you're doing the Explain operation on is explaining _itself_.
Remember that, unlike Z39.50, each SRW server conceptually serves only
a single database, not a selection.  To put it another way, each
database must have its own endpoint (base URL).

However, if what you want to do is have one SRW server returning
explain information about its friends and neighbours, then yes,
absolutely, ZeeRex was designed from the ground up to do precisely
that.  The background is all explained at
	http://explain.z3950.org/overview/
The way you do it is just to search a database of ZeeRex records.  The
database is called "IR-Explain---1" and you will need to use the
indexes described at
	http://explain.z3950.org/search/
At present, these are Z39.50 indexes, but if you're serious about
doing this, then we could very quickly produce an equivalent ZeeRex
profile for SRW.

Hope this helps.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "When I want to know how big a sphere is, I'll get a ruler.
	 When I want to know the meaning of life, I'll turn to faith.
	 When I want to reply to anonymous troll, I'll visit Slashdot"
	 -- RobertB-DC.