[Yazlist] Is there a thesaurus implementation in yaz

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue Nov 2 10:08:27 CET 2004

> Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:15:31 +1100
> From: <John.Hockaday at ga.gov.au>
>
> [...] I also notice that there is a "Zthes: a Profile for Thesaurus
> Navigation in Z39.50 and SRW" at URL: http://zthes.z3950.org/
>
> Does yaz, yaz-client provide for a thesaurus at the client end?

yaz-client is an extremely naive program, really more of a testing
program than an application.  So the answer is that, yes, it does
indeed support thesaurus navigation using the Zthes profile, just as
it supports every other kinds of Z39.50 searching, but it doesn't give
you a nice browsing interface or anything.  Instead, you have to
explicitly construct each thesaurus-DB search yourself.

We should really distribute a Zthes-compliant thesaurus as one of the
example databases in the Zebra distribution.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Web Services are key to the future, if only we could agree
	 what they are!" -- Developmentor presentation on Web Services
	 interoperability.