[Yazlist] yaz-client, yaz API and Z39.50 - 2003

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Jan 19 17:56:23 CET 2004

> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:17:20 +0100
> From: Tajoli Zeno <tajoli at cilea.it>
>
> Now I'm working with cheshire2 as Z39-50 server and the new version
> has this new feature:
> [...]
> I try to find if I can test those new features with yaz-client or
> with two others clients based on YAZ API, BookWhere 2000 of
> WEBCLARITY and Metalib of Exlibris.

I see.

> [From CHANGES of Cheshire2]
>
> "Support was added for the Z39.50-2003 resultCount element of
> SortResponse.  The size of the sorted resultset(s) is now returned
> both in resultCount and in the
>   addedinfo (where it was done before).

yaz-client does not currently display resultCount, although it is of
course retrieved from the server.  You easily can fix this by tweaking
the process_sortResponse() function to print the value of
*res->resultCount.

> Other Z39.50-2003 changes are:
> assume that INIT requests with 0 for PreferredMessageSize and
> ExceptionalRecordSize
> means that the server may set its own values for these."

No, yaz-client does not provide a means of passing values other than
the defaults of 1Mb for these parameters.  (Again, that would be easy
to change: see lines 292-3 in the send_initRequest() function.)

> Thanks for your quick answer.

No problem.  Good luck.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There's something Newtonian about paleontology: every
	 conclusion produces an equal and opposite conclusion" --
	 Brian M. McCarthy