[Yazlist] YAZ 1.8 available

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.dk
Thu Oct 25 15:56:19 CEST 2001

Hi YAZ-L members,

YAZ-1.8 is now available from www.indexdata.dk. This is one of those times
when we took so long getting a release together that we know quite a few
people have been working with the development version in the interim.
Partly for that reason, we decided to skip a version number, so we're now
at 1.8.

If you come straight from 1.6 or earlier, the changes are too many to
mention here -- have a look at the changelog. In particular, look out for
those places marked with "*", since those changes may require you to change
your own code if you upgrade.

Some highlights:

o ZOOM! As some of the discussion on this list has shown, the YAZ API for
client developers is not too friendly to newcomers. We've been trying to
resolve this, not only for YAZ, but for Z39.50 in general. We have worked
with Mike Taylor on the definition of the generic, Object Oriented API for
Z39.50 (http://zoom.z3950.org/), and we have produced the first
implementation of the C binding for that API. If you have made clients with
YAZ before, we think you will like this. In the future, we expect that a
whole range of ZOOM-based APIs will become available for YAZ (and other
toolkits), implemented by us and by other people. This is an important part
of our bid to make Z39.50 more accessible to developers. Let us know how
you like it.

NOTE! The ZOOM-specification and the C binding in particular is a work in
progress. Expect parts of the specification to evolve over the next
months... but please do try it out and help the process with your feedback.
Check the manual for documentation, and look at the ZOOM website above for
more details if needed.

o We have finally dropped the original, hand-written interface structures
for the lower-level APIs. For awhile, we included them along with the
compiler-generated structures, but this tended to bloat the package and
make it needlessly complicated. We now only include the compiler-generated
structures, so watch out if your application is based on a *very* old
version of YAZ, but do consider making the small effort to migrate. As
always, the compiler itself is included in the toolkit if you decide you
need to incorporate new or nonstandard ASN.1 into your application.

o The generic frontend server has had its API updated somewhat to make it
more robust and flexible. The frontend server also has thread support under
UNIX (in addition to Windows).

o One of my personal favorites is a little change to the CCL query language
interpreter that lets it change a query with multiple words into a boolean
query with AND (or OR) between the words. We like to use CCL in web-portals
to bibliographic servers, and this gives them a nice, "web search engine" feel.

But again -- have a look in the "changes" list.. and have fun.

All the best,

Sebastian, Index Data