[Yazlist] PQF AttributeType Question

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.dk
Wed Oct 10 20:17:18 CEST 2001

Hi Ken,

>is 1 in refernce too, what does 1 mean, a type of what?

The obnoxious answer would be "a type of attribute". It's basically a way
to subdivide an attribute set. The Z39.50 standard itself attaches no
meaning to different attribute types, but specific attribute sets do. For
instance, in Bib-1 -- the bibliographic attribute set -- Type-1 is
basically an indication of what abstract "field" (eg. "title") you wish to
search in. Type 2 talks about relationships -- equality, greater-than,
less-than, etc. Each type of attribute has something to say about the term
it's applied to. Some profiles, like Bath, requires that each term must be
accompanied by an attribute from each of the six types of Bib-1, but most
servers will provide default values if an attribute type is not specified.

See http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/bib1.html, and also the "Bib-1
semantics" document that is linked to from there.

Until now, most other attribute sets have simply covered all Bib-1
attributes other than 1 (the search fields), so you could expect to always
find handy things like "truncation" in the same place. But there was no
guarantee for that, and this has made it hard to write software that could
cope with any attribute set. There has been an effort to standardise the
rules for how you make a well-formed attribute set (that's the attribute
set architecture), but so far it is not in wide use, and Bib-1, notably,
does not conform to the architecture.

Hope that helps,

--Sebastian