[Net-z3950] Problems using Net-Z3950-ZOOM

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue Nov 25 13:32:01 CET 2008

Heiko Jansen writes:
 > Am Donnerstag, den 20.11.2008, 15:24 -0500 schrieb Vijendra Singh
 > Purohit:
 > > Yeah. I tried it using yaz-client and even in that case, I am
 > > getting the same error. So it definitely looks like issue on
 > > ProQuest side.
 >
 > Not necessarily, since the Perl module is only a thin wrapper
 > around the same library that is used in the yaz-client.

Well, not really.  ZOOM-Perl is a thinnish layer around ZOOM-C, true,
but this is itself a thick layer around the underlying YAZ codecs
which the YAZ command-line client uses directly.  And I am quite sure
that there are no arbitrary 1000-record limits in those!  If you don't
believe me, use yaz-client to retrieve the 1000th record from a big
search in the Library of Congress database.

 > > My query now is, is there some option in z39.50 protocol, that I
 > > might be missing, where we can specify number of records on
 > > server side?
 >
 > None that I know about.

No, there is no way in the protocol to tell the server not to do this,
for the very good reason that it never occurred to the protocol
designers that a server ever _would_ do such a thing.  It would be
like having a facility in HTTP to say "don't truncate long pages to 10
Kb".  Sorry, but the server is Just Plain Broken.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "I'd have to agree with you ...  If you were right" -- Robin
	 Williams, "Awakenings"