[Net-z3950] Error compiling SimpleServer 1.07

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Sep 10 16:59:32 CEST 2007

Phil Cross writes:
 > Actually I'm still getting the same error for the other statement
 > mentioned in the initial error output - for
 >
 > Z_StringOrNumeric *son
 >
 > Fresh error message:
 >
 > SimpleServer.xs: In function `apt2perl':
 > SimpleServer.xs:430: parse error before `*'
 > SimpleServer.xs:433: `son' undeclared (first use in this function)
 > SimpleServer.xs:433: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
 > SimpleServer.xs:433: for each function it appears in.)
 > *** Error code 1
 > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `SimpleServer.o'
 >
 > Is this the same problem?

Argh!

It is indeed the same problem.  I have now fixed this instance of it,
too, and released SimpleServer 1.09 containing the fix.  It will
shortly appear on CPAN; until then, you can get it from
	http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/tmp/Net-Z3950-SimpleServer-1.09.tar.gz

A hint to everyone else out there who devlops "portable" Perl modules
using GCC: build your makefiles using:
	perl Makefile.PL OPTIMIZE="-Wdeclaration-after-statement"

This will ensure that the warning option is passed through the
invocations of GCC, so that it will let you know if you do something
that was not standard in 1990.  (Sun's compiler has evidently not yet
caught up with the 1999 C standard.)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Thinking that we're getting older and wiser, when we're just
	 getting old" -- Dave Gilmour, "Near The End"