[Net-z3950] Error compiling SimpleServer 1.07

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Sep 10 13:21:44 CEST 2007

Adam Dickmeiss writes:
 > >  > I'm trying to compile SimpleServer 1.07 against yaz version
 > >  > 3.0.10 on a solaris 2.9 system.
 > >  > [...]
 > >  > I had managed to install SimpleServer 1.05 ok against yaz
 > >  > version 2.1.48 on the same machine.
 > >  >
 > >  > I get the following error when running 'make':
 > >  > [...]
 > >  > SimpleServer.xs: In function `apt2perl':
 > >  > SimpleServer.xs:428: parse error before `*'
 > >  > SimpleServer.xs:431: `c' undeclared (first use in this function)
 > >  > SimpleServer.xs:431: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
 > >  > SimpleServer.xs:431: for each function it appears in.)
 > >  > SimpleServer.xs:432: `son' undeclared (first use in this function)
 > >  > *** Error code 1
 > >  > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `SimpleServer.o'
 >
 > A statement before a declaration is a no-go on older compilers.

D'oh!

Adam's right.  This is a dumb mistake, which slipped through the gaps
because GCC's default configuration is to be "helpful" by allowing you
to write non-standard C code without getting warnings.

I fixed this and made a new SimpleServer release 1.08.  I've uploaded
it to CPAN but since it usually takes a few hours to appear on there,
in the mean time you can download it from a temporary location:
	http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/tmp/Net-Z3950-SimpleServer-1.08.tar.gz

Enjoy.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Actually, it's a bacteria-run planet, but mammals are better
	 at public relations" -- Dave Unwin.