[Net-z3950] User-Information-Field in SimpleServer?

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri Mar 11 14:22:50 CET 2005

> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:49:24 +0000
> From: Ben Soares <ben.soares at ed.ac.uk>
>
> > There is reason in principle why SimpleServer shouldn't do this.
>
> I'm guessing you missed a word out there..?!

Er ...  Oh, look!  A badger!

:-)

> > Seb is right that ZeeRex is a better solution to the problem
> > you're trying to solve here.
>
> This is welcome advice -- I've already done most of the work for a
> ZeeRex db on the server so I'll probably stick with that.  Is there
> a way of adding an MOTD through ZeeRex though?

Nope, not within the established ZeeRex DTD.

But you can add your own ZeeRex extensions if you want: see
	http://explain.z3950.org/dtd/extensions.html

> > But if, for some reason, you really want to return an
> > OCLC-UserInformation packet in your Init response, then the main
> > missing piece that you'll need is code in SimpleServer to generate
> > the necessary C data-structures for BER encoding from broadly
> > equivalent Perl structures.
>
> Okay, I was thinking I could create the BER encoded
> OCLC-UserInformation thing using either the Convert::ASN1 or
> Convert::BER CPAN modules and add them to something in the $hash
> used in the Init handler.

That approach _could_ be used, I am sure; but (A) it would still
require some changes to the SimpleServer core code, to tell it to pass
your BER-encoded chunk through, and (B) it is not really in accordance
with the "spirit" of SimpleServer.

Still, if it gets your job done ...

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Personally, I don't think its sexual dimorphism.  I'm all
	 for it, but not in this case" - Tracy L. Ford.