[Net-z3950] User-Information-Field in SimpleServer?

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri Mar 11 13:11:21 CET 2005

> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:21:32 +0000
> From: Ben Soares <ben.soares at ed.ac.uk>
>
> Just wondering if there's an easy way to add anything to the
> User-Information-Field in an INIT response in
> Net::Z3950::SimpleServer, or will I have to wait for
> Net::Z3950::SlightlyMoreComplexServer? ;)

There is reason in principle why SimpleServer shouldn't do this.

> My aim is to provide an MOTD and a dblist available to an
> authenticated user (the list will vary quite a lot depending on who
> logs in) and I was thinking of using the OCLC-UserInformation
> construct.  Any other methods would be considered too.  I've already
> done a rudimentary IR-Explain---1 db which only provides records for
> the dbs available to the logged on user.

Seb is right that ZeeRex is a better solution to the problem you're
trying to solve here.  But if, for some reason, you really want to
return an OCLC-UserInformation packet in your Init response, then the
main missing piece that you'll need is code in SimpleServer to
generate the necessary C data-structures for BER encoding from broadly
equivalent Perl structures.

If you go ahead and write that code, we would appreciate it being
contributed back into the master source; if you want it but can't see
how to write it, get in touch with us offline and we'll give you a
quote.

Hope this helps.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "But I remember ...  Three lions on the shirts; Jules Rimet
	 still gleaming" -- Skinner, Baddiel & Broudie, "Football's
	 Coming Home"