[Net-z3950] Installing Net::Z3950

Myron Turner mturner at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Thu Mar 3 01:55:55 CET 2005

Much of that stuff seems to be related to kerberos authentication.  Maybe
Fedora automatically inserts kerberos into any software that accesses its
networking facilities.    There's a thread concerning this missing Fedora
library on Red Hat's web site which might be of use:
            http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg01705.html
It suggests a link to an older version of the lib which seems to work.  If
you FC2 was an upgrade you might have it.

If you can't solve it in any other way,  instead of installing Z3950 using
the CPAN module, which has to do everything by the book, you might try
downloading the individual modules yourself and configuring them
manually--examine the makfiles and see if you can successfully delete the
kereberos libraries.  Probably a long shot, since the networkng might just
demand it.

UPDATE:  I just found a copy on a Red Hat 8 and will send it to you separately.
Myron

At 03:10 AM 02/03/2005, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:04:40 +0700
> > From: Don Robertson <don at robertson.net.nz>
> >
> > gcc  -shared -L/usr/local/lib Z3950.o  -o
> blib/arch/auto/Net/Z3950/Z3950.so yazwrap/libyazwrap.a  -lyaz -L/usr/lib
> -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -lm -lssl -lcrypto -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lcom_err
> -lk5crypto -lresolv -ldl -lz -lwrap -lnsl
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcom_err
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Net/Z3950/Z3950.so] Error 1
> >   /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
>
>Uh-oh.
>
>I'm sorry, I don't known whether I'm going to be able to help much
>with this, as I don't have an FC2 machine to reproduce the problem on.
>
>What's abundantly clear is that that the process of running "perl
>Makefile.PL" has decided that the Perl-to-C linkage module needs to be
>linked with a bunch of stuff that I know nothing about, and have never
>seen involved in a Net::Z3950 build before.  Here is the equivalent
>line in my own build (on RH9):
>
>   LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib" gcc  -shared -L/usr/local/lib
> Z3950.o  -o blib/arch/auto/Net/Z3950/Z3950.so
> yazwrap/libyazwrap.a  -L/usr/local/lib -lyaz -L/usr/lib -lxml2 -lz -lm
>
>The simple solution for you is to find out what FC2 RPM contain
>libcom_err.co, install that, and re-run the build.  But I would be
>interested to know why "perl Makefile.PL" on FC2 thinks it needs all
>that junk.

Myron Turner
http://www.room535.org/mt/
http://search.cpan.org/~turnermm/Net-Z3950-AsyncZ-0.10/