[Net-z3950] elementSet and XML record syntax

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Thu Jun 17 12:55:44 CEST 2004

> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:47:21 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Sigfrid Lundberg <sigfrid.lundberg at lub.lu.se>
>
> I would guess that for most Z39.50 servers, there is no method to give
> any meaning to the elementSet concept (e.g., $rs->option(elementSet =>
> 'f');) when record syntax is XML. There has to be some method to inhibit
> Net::Z3950 to send the default 'B' if it is unknown to the server and
> there is no way to provide meaning to the concept for the server.
>
> This prevents me from searching a Zebra database with a mixture of
> different types of XML documents.

Hi Sigfrid, good to hear from you.

I am sorry if I am being dense, but I don't understand what you're
actually asking for here.  Element-set "f" conventionally means "give
me everything", so for an XML database, you'd typically get back the
records as they were added.

Is your problem that there is no standard definiton of what
element-set "b" means across XML records of different schemas?  But
that is a profiling issue.  So, for example, when the Bath Profile's
Appendix B at
	http://www.collectionscanada.ca/bath/tp-bath2.28-e.htm
defines a DTD for Dublin Core XML records to be returned from
Bath-compliant servers, it should also specify what subset of that
record is implied by the element-set "b".

What exactly do you think the Net::Z3950 moduile should be doing about
this?

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "I like XSLT, but my sense is still that brutal, filthy Perl
	 is the strongest tool for a war without rules" -- Sebastian
	 Hammer, on parsing HTML.