[Net-z3950] [net-z3950-bounces@indexdata.dk: Auto-discard notification]

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Dec 8 13:44:46 CET 2004

> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:16:35 GMT
> From: Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com>
>
> Your reply answered my question perfectly. I tested the module which
> translate between MARC-8 and UTF8/latin1, it worked. So I will not
> worry about data in database but use this module for web displaying.

I am glad you found a good solution to your problems.

To summarise, for anyone who didn't follow all that: for historical
reasons, Z39.50 character-set negotiation does NOT affect the
character-set used within MARC records, so that's a red herring.  MARC
records pretty much always come back using the character set the
server holds them with, and that may well be the special MARC-8
character-set that's not really used anywhere else except within MARC
records.  In this case, you need to use a further layer of software to
translate the individual fields (or even the whole record, if you have
a suitable library) into a character-set that you can handle, which
will most likely be either Latin-1 or UTF-8.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  There's been a lot of talk about the Declaration Mimics Use.
	 In fact, the declaration they use is simply, "I am a mimic".