[Net-z3950] Re: Problems installing Net::Z3950 and Yaz 2.0 under RedHat 8.0

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue Apr 8 13:52:25 CEST 2003

> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 08:43:24 -0500
> From: "Christopher Morgan" <morgan at acm.org>
>
> Re: my problem installing Net::Z3950 under RedHat 8.0.
>
> I found the fix in the Net::Z3950 archives:
>
> 	In Makefile.PL and yazwrap/Makefile.PL, I set
>    	 'DEFINE'    => '-D_GNU_SOURCE',
>
> This did the trick -- I'm up and running!

Hi Chris, I'm glad you found the solution to your problem.  But it
bothers me that this kind of voodoo is sometimes necessary.  Do you
(or anyone) have any idea _why_ this define is necessary on some
systems but not others?  And what it does?  And maybe most of all:
why, if it is needed, ExtUtils::MakeMaker doesn't know that?

Thanks all.

Oh, and BTW., from your original message --

> Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:10:35 -0500
> From: "Christopher Morgan" <morgan at acm.org>
>
> [...]
> Could the problem be related to compatibility issues between
> Net::Z3950 and Yaz 2.0? (I had been running Yaz 1.8.7 under RedHat
> 7.3)

No, that's one thing it _can't_ be .

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Thankfully, Ronald Reagan wasn't the embodiment of supreme
	 evil" -- Daniel Eliyahu.