[Net-z3950] Re: Packaging Net::Z3950 for Debian?

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Thu Apr 3 10:27:29 CEST 2003

> Date: 02 Apr 2003 15:11:13 -0700
> From: Eric Schwartz <emschwar at debian.org>
>
> I was looking up some software that would help me catalog my books,
> when I came across Net::Z3950.  It looks extremely cool-- I'll need
> to glue it together with a MARC record parser, but that should be
> do-able.  Since most of my books are recent enough to have ISBNs, I
> can just scan that barcode, and have a Perl script do the lookup for
> me. :)

Excellent!  I'll be interested to see the program when you have it
working to your satisfactions.

> So thanks a lot for the writing of it.  Also, whenever I find a
> particularly useful piece of software that's not in Debian (which is
> rare :) I always ask if I can package it.

Please do -- that'd be great.  It'll depend on YAZ, which is available
as a Debian package from
	http://ftp.indexdata.dk/pub/yaz/debian/

> The one thing that's in the way (well, two things-- if you object, I
> won't do it either) is that there's no license statement for the
> software.

There is now!  :-)

v0.33 is GPL'd.  Go for it!  I am looking forward to the day when I
can type "apt-get install libnet-z3950-perl".  (Well, I can type it
now, but I am looking forward to the day when it _works! :-)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There's no justice, but there's sometimes there's
	 consistency" -- Mike Selway.