[Net-z3950] Asynchronous module

Myron Turner mturner at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Wed Apr 2 05:08:41 CEST 2003

I've written a module to handle asynchronous access to Z39.50 servers based
on Mike Taylor's Net::Z3950 module.

I know that the Z3950 documentation indicates that the asynchronous mode is
the basis on which the synchronous works, but I didn't have much personal
success getting 'async' to work, and at the same time I wanted to write a
front end to Z3950 for my own use.  In fact, this began as just that.  In
any event, this serves both purposes for me.  It also goes a long way
towards dealing with servers that cause scripts to hang,  that is, your
scripts won't hang if you use AsyncZ, but you will not get your results
from the servers waiting in line behind the offending server. I am working
on a modification which will make it essentially bullet-proof to these servers.

One morning I was able to put through a list of 100 servers and get back
records or error responses from 68.
I haven't been able to repeat the feat.

You'll find AsyncZ at:

http://www.room535.org/misc/Net-AsyncZ-0.01.tar.gz