[Net-z3950] event & z3950 build failure

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Mon Oct 7 13:25:38 CEST 2002

> Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:25:51 +0300
> From: Ville Huhtala <ville.huhtala at pp1.inet.fi>
>
> I'm using mandrake 9.0. There is a perl-event package in mandrake-
> contrib, z3950 don't find it - and it installs to i386-linux, not
> i386-linux-thread-multi (simply copying is no good).

I'm sorry, I know nothing about Mandrake's special install stuff.  I
can't help here.  I always do this stuff my hand, and suggest that you
do the same:

	$ gunzip < Event-0.86.tar.gz | tar xf -
	$ cd Event-0.86
	$ perl Makefile.PL
	$ make
	$ make test
	$ su
	# make install
	# ^D
	$ cd ..
	$ rm -r Event-0.86
	$ gunzip < Net-Z3950-0.30.tar.gz | tar xf -
	$ cd Net-Z3950-0.30
	$ perl Makefile.PL
	$ make
	$ make test
	$ su
	# make install
	# ^D
	$ cd ..
	$ rm -r Net-Z3950-0.30

You have more control that way.  Speaking only for myself, the CPAN
module is very nice when it works, but very painful when it doesn't;
and that happens more often than it should.

Let me know how you get on.

)_v__/\  "Sure it stinks, but only a little stink; not the horrendous
	 stench you might find in some other alleged ``science''
	 reports" -- Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. in a mellow mood