[Net-z3950] Specifying the client's port number for a Z39.50 connection

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Thu Nov 28 11:19:47 CET 2002

> Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:52:36 +1100
> From: John.Hockaday at ga.gov.au
>
> It has been (rightly so) pointed out to me that I am using the wrong
> syntax for the 'open' command in 'yaz-client'.  I found that if I
> use the following syntax for yaz-client:
>
> Yaz-client
> Z>open www.auslig.gov.au:6668/auslig
> Connecting...Ok.
> Sent initrequest.
> Connection accepted by target.
> ID     : 34
> Name   : CNIDR zserver v2.07i
> Version: 2.07i
> Elapsed: 0.573494
> Z>format XML
> Z>elements F
> Z>find water
> Sent searchRequest.
> Received SearchResponse.
> Search was a success.
> Number of hits: 12
> records returned: 0
> Elapsed: 0.215856
> Z>show 1
> Sent presentRequest (1+1).
>
> And it just hangs there.

When I do this, it works just fine for me.

> Similarly when I use Net::Z3950 to try to retreive the records at
> the same database it hangs.

Net::Z3950 works just fine for me against this server:

	$ NetZ3950/samples/simple.pl www.auslig.gov.au 6668 auslig water preferredRecordSyntax 80 elementSetName F
	found 12 records:
	=== record 1 ===
	<?xml version="1.0"?>
	<!DOCTYPE anzmeta PUBLIC "-//ANZLIC//DTD ANZMETA 1.3//EN"
	"http://www.environment.gov.au/net/dtd/anzmeta-1.3.dtd">
	<anzmeta>
	   <citeinfo>
	      <uniqueid>
	                        ANZCW0702000048
	      </uniqueid>
	      <title>
	       Australian Surface Water Management Areas
	      </title>
	      <origin>
	         <custod>
	[etc.]

So yes, the problem is something local to you.  (Not very comforting
for you, I know, but it's nice for me to know that it's not my fault
:-)

> I'm terribly sorry to bother you all.  Now that I have embarrassed
> myself I will have a stern talk to our Internet Service Providers
> about not providing the right access through the firewall.  I have
> to take revenge on someone to save face! ;--)

:-)

Good luck, and do let us know what you discover.

)_v__/\  "If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her
	 friends?" -- Steven Wright.