[Net-z3950] ResultSet gets undefinded

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Mon May 20 10:25:58 CEST 2002

> Date: 24 Apr 2002 20:48:00 -0600
> From: Boyd Waters <bwaters at aoc.nrao.edu>
>
> THANKS VERY MUCH for a very useful tool! In one afternoon I have
> gone from a vague recognition of the term "Z39.50" to a working
> program!

Thank you for these kind words; and my apologies for having taken so
long to get back to you.

> Like many others, I wrote a little Perl script that iterates over a
> list of ISBNs from my personal collection and retrieves MARC data
> from the Library of Congress.
>
> In order to get the script to work, I have to close the connection
> and then re-open it when I receive notification that the current
> ISBN was not in the LOC database. Otherwise I get lots of errors
> like this one:
>
> Event: trapped error: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY
> reference at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux/Net/Z3950/ResultSet.pm
> line 201, <> line 7.

Looks to me like your problem is due to the LOC server lying about
whether or not the Present Response it's sending contain any records.
v0.29 (http://perl.z3950.org/download/Net-Z3950-0.29.tar.gz) contains
a patch from Dave Mitchell <davem at fdgroup.com> which I believe should
fix your problem.  Please could you upgrade, try it again, and let me
know how it goes?

Thanks,

)_v__/\  "FACTS, NOT OPINIONS" -- the splendid motto of the Kircaldy
	 Engineering Works.