[Net-z3950] errors while making Net-Z3950-0.12

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 10:48:02 CEST 2001

> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:42:15 +1000
> From: "Nolan, David" <DavidNolan at auslig.gov.au>
>
> I'm not able to install the Net-Z3950 component as I get the
> following failure. It seems to have something to do with the util.c
> program at line 41, see highlighted line below.

Thanks for this report.  As you correctly guessed, the problem is that
the type socklen_t doesn't seem to be defined on all systems -- for
example, Solaris 2.6 is one of systems on which getsockopt() takes a
size_t* argument.

I have uploaded a new Net-Z3950 module to CPAN, version 0.13, which
fixes this bug.  The Right Thing for you to do is download that and
use it instead.  However, since it can take a while for CPAN to sort
its mirrors out, you might prefer to apply the fix yourself, since
it's so trivial:

	In line 41 of yazwrap/util.c, in the cs_look() function,
	change ``socklen_t'' to ``size_t''; and add a new line,
	``#include "ywpriv.h"'', just before the existing ``#include
	<sys/types.h>''.

That's it.

Do shout if you have any more problems.  I am rather inconveniently
(for you!  Not for me!) going on a fortnight's holiday tomorrow
morning, but you'll likely get a helpful response from one of the
Index Data team, so don't let that stop you mailing!

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor - <mike at miketaylor.org.uk> - www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  Why do people say that Oasis are the New Beatles, but not that
	 the Beatles are the Old Oasis?