[Ex-plain] Explain-ing short names

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Jun 2 21:35:42 CEST 2004

> Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:38:48 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
>   dc.title any/rel.algorithm=cori "fish squirrel"
>     and/rel.combine=mean
>   dc.author any/rel.algorithm=lr/rel.constant1=0.705 "sanderson taylor"
>
> This would thus need to be in the ZeeRex record somewhere.

Why?  This looks to me like the kind of thing that belongs firmly in a
CQL context set definition, just as the description of how to the the
Zthes access point "nt" belongs in the description of the Zthes-1
context set at
	http://zthes.z3950.org/cql/1.0/

What am I missing?  Specifically, what new and useful action could a
ZeeRex-configured client automatically take if we added the
information you're talking about?

> There's two options that I see:
>
>   *  ZeeRex needs a space to put in such definitions in a general fashion.
>      Something like:
>      <mappingInfo>
>        <item name="foo" identifier="http://.../"/>
>      </mappingInfo>

If you persuade me that there's a need for this at all, then this
would not be a bad way of doing it.

>   *  Each extension that needs to do this should give instructions
>      on how to extend the ZeeRex record.

Yuck.

>      This doesn't allow secondary aliases and might fill up ZeeRex
>      records with lots of little extension Info blocks.

Yes.  Very nasty.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There's a future for you in the fire-escape trade, come up
	 to town!" -- Genesis, "I Know What I Like"