[Ex-plain] NISO Metasearch TG2

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 14:33:53 CEST 2004

> My impression is that the discussion about non-Z protocols is still pretty
> immature, right Rob?

Yes, very.   Today I'm going to do some initial investigation for OAI,
Google, Amazon etc and draft up some proposed examples.

> I suggested that we also add to the list 'proprietary protocols' (ie.
> Gale's HITS protocol and similar). For both HTTP/HTML and proprietary

I did have http/xml on the list.  Similar to http/html, it's a matter of
us describing the functionality, rather than exactly how it's conveyed
over the wire.

> protocols (which are similar in some ways), I'd suggest combining the raw
> URL with a 'protocol identifier', probably a URI, and probably combined
> with a protocol/interface version number. This way, any metasearcher can
> easily determine if they support the interface or not.

Yup, we have those as attributes on serverInfo:
  <serverInfo protocol="SRW/U" version="1.1">

Which could just as easily be:
  <serverInfo protocol="http://www.amazon.com/Soap/" version="3.0">

And then links to the WSDL:

<databaseInfo><links>