[Ex-plain] SRW 1.1 changes to the schema

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri Nov 21 15:48:53 CET 2003

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:34:31 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> * Do we wish to follow the recently revealed to us (the ZNGIG) ISO
> 11179 standard for naming conventions?  For those not on the ZNG
> list, this would mean the elements would be UpperCamelCase and
> attributes lowerCamelCase.  I have no great commitment to either,
> aside from that if we rename everything then we should, IMO, go to
> Zeerex 2.0

Hmm.  See what Eliot says:

	Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:22:07 -0500
	From: Eliot Christian <echristi at USGS.GOV>
	To: ZNG at sun8.LOC.GOV
	Subject: Re: Fw: Standards

	I don't believe there is any such ISO standard, nor
	U.S. Federal policy.  There is only a draft guideline and
	perhaps some common practice in the ebXML community.

Interesting.  According to the overview at
	http://www.diffuse.org/meta.html#ISO11179
it seems that --

	The standard applies to the formulation of data
	element representations and meaning as shared among
	people and machines; it does not apply to the physical
	representation of data as bits and bytes at the
	machine level.

which suggests that it doesn't bother itself with piffling details
like the case of elements.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "I don't think anyone ever really grows up.  Adults are just
	 children who own money" -- Kenneth Brannagh, "Peter's Friends"