[Ex-plain] ZeeRex - add 'operators'?

Alan Kent ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au
Tue May 21 04:43:49 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:59:13PM +0100, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:44:53 +0100 (BST)
> > From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>

> >   <title>
> >   <map>
> >   <operators>
> >     <operator>
> >       <title>Greater Than</title>
> >       <map>
> >         <attr attributeSet="bib1" type="2">102</attr>
> >       </map>
> >     </operator>
> >   </operators>
> >
> > Then you can assign names as well as attributes, titles etc. without
> > adding many more tags to handle it.
>
> Yeuch.
>
> My feeling is that we are well past the point of diminishing returns
> here.  Remember, everyone, that one of our main goals was to make
> ZeeRex small and neat, so that anyone can sit down and read through --
> and understand -- all the specs in, say, one lazy afternoon.
>
> Less is more.

I agree with Mike here - which is why I proposed it at a global level.
I agree its not perfect, but repeating the information per index
seemed so highly redundant that I did not like it either. A server
can always reject the query if the combination is not valid.

My goal was more to avoid the Bib-1 assumption (which I agree with
Ralph is currently the only way to go).

Alan