[Ex-plain] SRW Explain Record

Ray Denenberg rden at loc.gov
Tue May 14 18:45:24 CEST 2002

"LeVan,Ralph" wrote:

> urn="http://dublincore.org/documents/2001/09/20/dcmes-xml/dcmes-xml-dtd.dtd"

Please, can we say "uri", instead of "urn"!

>                         <indexSet name="zxd"
> urn="http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/indexSets/zxd">
>                                 <index name="title" />
>                                 <index name="titleWords" />
>                                 <index name="author" />
>                                 <index name="authorWords" />
>                                 </indexSet>

Does this presume that zxd will be a well-known prefix?

My current working premise is that if you list a server-specific (i.e. not
well-known) prefix, you have to list the attribute combination.  If you list a
well-known prefix then you don't, but then all of the indexes that you list for
that prefix have to be defined by the global definition for that index set.

Is that your thinking too?

>                         <indexSet name="bath"

> urn="http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/indexSets/bath">
>                                 <index name="title" />
>                                 <index name="author" />
>                                 <index name="subject" />
>                                 </indexSet>

Again, assuming (and this is still hypothetical)  that we define a well-know
bath prefix which defines the indexes listed at
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/bath-prefixes.html then the above three
index names would all have to be from that list (thus, author and subject
qualify, but title doesn't).

>                         <indexSet name="utility"
> urn="http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/indexSets/utility">
>                                 <index name="all" />
>                                 </indexSet>

Sorry, you've lost me here. What does "utility" refer to?  I hope not the
utility set.  What would "all" be?

Thank, Ralph, I'm glad to see you're jumping in to this.  I'm just trying to see
if  we're all in synch.

--Ray