[Ex-plain] SRW Explain Record

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue May 14 18:02:27 CEST 2002

> Finally comes the defaults section.  Default values for all the search
> parameters are specified as well as the default record schema, default index
> set (what happens when an index prefix is not provided) and the default
> index (which happens to come from a different index set than the default
> index set.)

Why have a defaults section which just repeats the data above, when you
could have a default attribute on the data itself?

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
> <searchRetrieveResponse xmlns="urn:z3950:ZNG_Prototype1">
> 	<explainRecord>
> 		<database name="ETDCAT Something about a Dissertation
> Catalog"
> 			baseURL="http://levan-r:8080/SRW/etdcat">
> 			A subset of the 3.5 million dissertation records in
> OCLC's WorldCat database
> 			</database>
> 		<adminEmail url="mailto:levan at oclc.org" />

ZeeRex already handles all of this, although not in the exactly the same
way.

> 		<recordSchemas>
> 			<recordSchema name="dc"
> urn="http://dublincore.org/documents/2001/09/20/dcmes-xml/dcmes-xml-dtd.dtd"
> 			</recordSchemas>

Our recordSyntax/elementSet elements.

> 		<indexSets>
> 			<indexSet name="zxd"
> urn="http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/indexSets/zxd">
> 				<index name="title" />
> 				<index name="titleWords" />
> 				<index name="author" />
> 				<index name="authorWords" />
> 				</indexSet>

Indexset, index and name. (with Map, to distinguish it from title, etc)

> 		<defaults>
> 			<startRecord value="1" />
> 			<maximumRecords value="10" />

Is startRecord useful information? When would a server not default to the
first record apart from with a sadistic or malicious administrator? :)

The only thing that we don't already do is maximumRecords, which I assume
is the max records that it can return in a single response. Which isn't
really a 'default' value that could be overridden?