[Ex-plain] And There's More! (Extensions)

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 19:33:45 CET 2002

> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:03:16 -0000
> From: "Matthew Dovey" <matthew.dovey at las.ox.ac.uk>
>
> Apart from the fact that I'm not sure what a reciord is ;-)

Thanks; fixed.

> I'd suggest a slightly different wrong example:
>
> 	<explain xmlns:foo='http://foo.bar.com/whatever'>
> 	  <serverInfo>
> 	    <foo:longTermService>
> 	      <host>gondolin.hist.liv.ac.uk</host>
> 	      <port>210</port>
> 	      <database>mailarchive</database>
> 	    <foo:longTermService>
> 	  <serverInfo>
> 	</explain>

I don't understand why this is better (er, worse :-) than the current
wrong example.  I'm not disagreeing with you, I just literally don't
understand.  What's going on here?  Why would you want to wrap thtee
perfectly good standard Explain-- elements in an extension?  What
would it get you?

> I think the following, however, would/should be regarded as correct
>
> 	<explain xmlns:foo='http://foo.bar.com/whatever'>
> 	    <host>gondolin.hist.liv.ac.uk</host>
> 	    <port>210</port>
> 	    <database>mailarchive</database>
> 	    <foo:serverInfo>
> 	      <yearsInService>5</yearsInService>
> 	    </foo:serverInfo>
> 	</explain>

How can that be good when it's missing the <serverInfo> element that

)_v__/\  "Revise and rewrite" -- Strunk & White.