[Ex-plain] The Explain-- Attribute Set

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 16:44:52 CET 2002

> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:23:48 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > What's a better (i.e. worse) solution?
>
> I don't know.  This was the reason I had in the index type element
> so I didn't have to answer the question, I could just search by type
> ;)

I have to admit I can see more and more reasons that <type> is nice;
but let's not raise that again until after the ZIG.

> > I _think_ the right thing is just not to address this.
>
> I disagree.  My first question would be 'how do I find databases
> that support exact author searches?' This is (was?) Bath level 0
> compliancy!  Or exact titles vs only keyword in title.

You make a compelling point.

So: what's your solution?  (Apart from <type>, I mean! :-)

> > > Other things needed: Searching on authoritative records only.
> >
> > Yup.  I could do that with a new search-term, "authorised", to be
> > used with the explainAdmin access point, or with a new access
> > point.  I guess I prefer the former, but not strongly.  Anyone
> > else have an opinion?
>
> I think I like it, as it means that our decision to change emm 1=1
> was correct :)

OK, done.

> And there's no reason you couldn't do emm 1=1 authoritative NOT emm
> 1=1 thisServer or any other combination.

To find databases whose Explain-- records this server proxies on
behalf of another server.  Indeed.

)_v__/\  "Politicians, ad agencies, and other liars are prone to using
	 high-sounding, low-content, prose to back their points.
	 Heck, if people really understood what they were saying,
	 they might be in big trouble" -- Rheal Nadeau.