[Ex-plain] Explain and ZING

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Mar 8 14:05:50 CET 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Alan Kent wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:17:40PM +0000, Robert Sanderson wrote:
> > Don't take this as an objection, but I would like to see some scoping done
> > first as to the feasibility before jumping in the deep end.  As I asked

> The only things I can see missing (at present!) are:
> * Ability to document the end point URL for SRW (and SRU)

<database> path/to/cgi </database> ?

A hack, I know.

> * Ability to turn 'index' (or 'searchable field names') into attribute
>   lists for sending to a Z39.50 server

Does the re-inclusion of <name> alleviate this problem?

> There is another thing I want to personally introduce, but I am only
> just about to propose ito the ZiNG list. Its something we support
> which for lack of better terminology I call 'functions', which is
> attribute lists that can be munged onto normal attribute lists.

If I follow, what you would like is to be able to define an attribute and
say that this attribute is available in combination with all other
attributes listed.

(I would call this an 'overlay', for what it's worth)

So you might be able to say:

<indexInfo>
   <overlay>
   </overlay>

</indexInfo>

And the trunc 102 attribute would become available in combination with all
other <map> combinations, rather than having to define them individually.

Wouldn't you want to assign a different title to a search with different
attributes though?  No good doing a search which calls itself author and
having the code apply an overlay to make it left truncating! :)