[Ex-plain] Re: [ZOOM] Responses to Qns (fwd)

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Thu Jul 18 15:45:09 CEST 2002

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:55:05 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> The revisions that we made [to SRW] at the meeting were pretty
> sweeping and although its now much easier to interop with Z39.50
> (IMO) there's a whole lot of default values that need to be
> described in the Explain record.  To keep things from getting
> confusing with describing 'default sort schemas' under Z39.50 (ie
> meaningless) it was decided to just look at ZeeRex as a template and
> to adopt as much as possible then add in the bits that are needed
> for SRW and remove the bits that aren't.
>
> Poul Henrik and I are going to work on the schema for SRW.

For anyone who's interested, my off-list correspondence with Rob now
suggests that he and PH are going to try to make a single unified
ZeeRex schema that can be used to describe both Z39.50 Classic and SRW
databases -- which I'm sure I need not say if a much better idea!

> On a brighter note, ONE-2 are moving to using ZeeRex rather than
> Explain-Lite as we resolve multiple attribute sets and E-L doesn't
> :)

Excellent.

)_v__/\  "(void*) ...  You can write BCPL in any language" --
	 Mike Selway.