[Ex-plain] F&N

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 13:19:41 CET 2002

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:02:24 +1100
> From: Alan Kent <ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au>
>
> More seriously, I would hope that someone could put together a
> simple Z39.50 target as a free product (using Isite for example?)
> using the XML record syntax.

Sebastian is being very modest today, but he ought to be pointing out
that his very own Zebra (http://www.indexdata.dk/zebra/) is just such
a thing: a free XML-friendly Z39.50 server.  I don't believe it would
be at all hard to configure it to serve Explain-- records; Sebastian
could certianly include the necessary configuration files so that
release 1.11 does Explain-- "out of the box".

(Might be an opportunity to get Zebra installed in a few more places
too!)

> I hope that it is not necessary to have the F&N and Explain
> information in the same server as being described - because I think
> it would take too long to upgrade all the existing sites out there!

I think we are ALL agreed -- even Rob -- that some kind of proxing
mechanism is absolutely necessary.  There is NO way we can expect this
to catch on by requiring EVERY server provider to add new
functionality.

That said, I agree with Rob that we should favour the model in which
servers explain themselves where possible.  Apart from anything else,
it gives a good solution to the starting-point problem.

Is it time for someone to start writing this up?

Is it me?  :-)

)_v__/\  "Our users will know fear and cower before our software!
	 Ship it!  Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they
	 are!" -- Klingon Programming Mantra