[Ex-plain] ZiNG etc (SRW) and Z39.50

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.dk
Wed Apr 24 00:55:50 CEST 2002

At 23:42 23-04-2002 +0100, Matthew J. Dovey wrote:

>OK already - we need some sample code in the next SRW/SRU presentations ;-)
>(and there was me thinking the ZIG was a technical audience...)

I'm not even going to grace this with the response it deserves for fear of
kicking up another mail-storm from Matthew *grin*. But I have never yet
encountered a technical audience that didn't benefit from gentle
persuasion, silver spoons & all that. It would behoove the SRW geeks well
to keep that in mind, or they will make *precisely* the same mistake that
the ZIG did in creating the material around Z39.50. It would be a grand
mistake to assume that the web-technologies are self-explanatory just
because they're new and "easy". In fact, my best impression is that the XML
family of technologies already comes close to matching old OSI for
complexity (and it far surpasses it for the number of internal
inconsistencies)... and it's growing rather explosively.

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data <http://www.indexdata.dk/>
Ph: +45 3341 0100, Fax: +45 3341 0101