[Ex-plain] Re: Reference to the DTD in the XML documents

Alan Kent ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au
Fri Apr 19 03:23:24 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:11:21PM +0100, Robert Sanderson wrote:
> > I just had a look at the example XML records on
> > http://explain.z3950.org/samples/index.html and it made me wonder why isn't
> > there a reference to the DTD in the top of the file so that the XML record
> > can be validated?
> <!DOCTYPE explain SYSTEM "explain--.dtd" []>
> ... But we're not doing SGML.
>
> What does everyone else thing?

I thought people thought "XML namespaces are a good way to allow private
extensions". In that case, may as well define a namespace now for Explain--
and define an XML schema etc. You put a schemaLocation attribute or
something in for locating the schema don't you?

As soon as you want to support namespaces, DTDs go out the window
from my understanding.

Alan

--
Alan Kent (mailto:ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au, http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/)
Postal: Multimedia Database Systems, RMIT, GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne 3001.