[Ex-plain] Object names/OIDs (Was: z39.50r URL (and OIDs!))

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 18:13:45 CEST 2002

> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:27:36 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> To bring back up an old topic, can we define either a list of
> official names, or otherwise use OIDs for things which have OIDs?

We've done this, whole and segments.  The answer, from
	http://explain.z3950.org/dtd/refguide.html#6.1.6.2.1
is that we use the MA-defined name when there is one, and an
ASCII-fied OID ("."-separated) when there isn't:

	The attributeSet attribute should contain the name of the
	attribute set to be used for the search, as defined in the
	Maintenance Agency's list at
	http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/oids.html#3.
	It defaults to BIB-1 if not set explicitly.

	All object names - attribute sets, record syntaxes, etc. - are
	treated by Explain-- as case- and hyphen-insensitive. So, for
	example, the attribute set names BIB-1, bib-1, BIB1 and bib1
	all refer to the BIB-1 attribute set, 1.2.840.10003.3.1.

However --

> Eg: BIB1 or bib-1 but not either.  Case insensitivity is easy, but -
> insensitivity is less easy as it's not typically something that
> servers have to deal with as - is generally a relevant character.
> ('Langley-Jones' vs 'Langley Jones')
>
> My recommendation is to leave out hyphens before a trailing number.
> (bib2 not bib-2)

OK, I am amenable to this refinement.  Anyone else have thoughts?

)_v__/\  "No man ought to surrender his own judgment to any mere
	 authority, however respectable" - Joseph Priestley