[Ex-plain] Re: z39.50r URL (and OIDs!)

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 17:27:36 CEST 2002

> >> In the z39.50r URL as specified in RFC 2056, you can't specify
> >> _any_ search, AA-compliant or not.  All you can do is specify a
> >> record by its unique ID.
> > So how can we mandate saying we should have z39.50r URLs in our
> > <aggregatedFrom> field?!
> Using the unique ID of course.  That's why we have an "id" attribute
> at the top level of the Explain-- record, right?

Okay, yeah, my brain has shut down. Too many emails at once.

To bring back up an old topic, can we define either a list of official
names, or otherwise use OIDs for things which have OIDs?
Eg:  BIB1 or bib-1 but not either.  Case insensitivity is easy, but -
insensitivity is less easy as it's not typically something that servers
have to deal with as - is generally a relevant character.
('Langley-Jones' vs 'Langley Jones')

My recommendation is to leave out hyphens before a trailing number.
(bib2 not bib-2)