[Ex-plain] Re: Protocol Version (Was: Attribute Searches)

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Fri Apr 12 15:17:56 CEST 2002

> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:01:52 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > > Can you give an example of how you would actually do the search?
> > find @attr NET 1=4 @attr NET 2=version3 z39.50
>
> Urgh.  So we have a list of semantic qualifiers for all versions of
> all protocols?  Or say that different protocols need to define their
> own attribute sets (ala explain--) and put in the appropriate SQ
> definitions in there?

Well, a simpler approach is to say that if you ever want to search for
a particular version of any protocol, you can do so using an SQ made
up of the string "version" concatenated with the version number.  We
don't need to provide an e4xhaustive list or anything!

> Is there a precedent either way for this sort of thing?

I don't think so.  SQs are still pretty rare in Real Life.

)_v__/\  The main difference between SunOS and SysV is that only the
	 former has `compactify' in /usr/dict/words.