[Ex-plain] Re: B vs F

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 19:05:02 CEST 2002

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:47:13 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > I think that overview section was written before we'd added
> > authentication support to the DTD.  [checks.]  Yup, I wrote the
> > overview on 26th March, and you (you sod! :-) added the
> > authentication elements in v1.5 of the DTD two days later.
>
> *grins*  I had the same feeling but wasn't in a position to check.

What, you couln't access
	http://explain.z3950.org/overview/index.html
and
	http://explain.z3950.org/dtd/changes-1.5.html
and look at the little dates at the top?

> > In a nutshell: I had thought that "B" meant all and only the
> > <serverInfo> element.  If we think that's not enough we need to make
> > that clear ASAP.  Also, I don't want to go down the path of making
> > anything optional, since harvesters need to know what they're likely
> > to get.
>
> So we're taking out the title and description which you so valiantly
> argued in favour of?  In particular description, as it's likely not
> to be known, whereas there's more chance of knowing a title.
>
> This is fine with me, but you argued the other way last time... :)

I'm not arguing either way (yet) -- I'm just saying we need to get it
nailed down one way or t'other.  Also, if we _do_ want title and/or
description to be included in the F&N record, then I'm half inclined
to say they should go inside the same top-level container element at
host/port/database.  Only _half_ inclined, mind.

)_v__/\  Cab driver to Groucho Marx: "Have a nice day"; Marx: "I'll
	 have the hell sort of day I want"