[Ex-plain] Re: B vs F

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Apr 11 18:47:13 CEST 2002

> > As serverInfo has the connection stuff (connectionInfo?) [...]
> ... not bad ...
> > [...] I think that all of it is important for F&N or it shouldn't be
> > there.  What use an F&N server that doesn't send the known
> > authentication values so that the client can connect to it?
>
> I agree.  I think that overview section was written before we'd added
> authentication support to the DTD.  [checks.]  Yup, I wrote the
> overview on 26th March, and you (you sod! :-) added the authentication
> elements in v1.5 of the DTD two days later.

*grins*  I had the same feeling but wasn't in a position to check.

> In a nutshell: I had thought that "B" meant all and only the
> <serverInfo> element.  If we think that's not enough we need to make
> that clear ASAP.  Also, I don't want to go down the path of making
> anything optional, since harvesters need to know what they're likely
> to get.

So we're taking out the title and description which you so valiantly
argued in favour of?  In particular description, as it's likely not to be
known, whereas there's more chance of knowing a title.

This is fine with me, but you argued the other way last time... :)