[Ex-plain] Re: B vs F

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 18:46:21 CEST 2002

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:29:23 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> Okay, so we need to define exactly what should be in B.

Yes.

> The assumption I've been working under was serverInfo + title +
> description.
>
> I take it that you've assumed it was just host, port, database,
> title and description, with no attributes on them?

I've not only assumed it, I've explicitly documented it, and no-one's
said anything!  Check out
http://explain.z3950.org/overview/index.html#3.1

	When a Z39.50 client retrieves an Explain-- record using the
	element set b (that is, the brief record), an F&N record is
	returned.  It is very simple: an XML document with an
	<explain> element at the top level, a <serverInfo> element
	that, containing the hostname, IP port number and database
	name respectively of a Z39.50 database which may be on the
	same server as the Explain-- record or a different one.

	For example:

	<explain>
	  <serverInfo>
	    <host>gondolin.hist.liv.ac.uk</host>
	    <port>210</port>
	    <database>l5r</database>
	  </serverInfo>
	</explain>

However --

> As serverInfo has the connection stuff (connectionInfo?) [...]

... not bad ...

> [...] I think that all of it is important for F&N or it shouldn't be
> there.  What use an F&N server that doesn't send the known
> authentication values so that the client can connect to it?

I agree.  I think that overview section was written before we'd added
authentication support to the DTD.  [checks.]  Yup, I wrote the
overview on 26th March, and you (you sod! :-) added the authentication
elements in v1.5 of the DTD two days later.

In a nutshell: I had thought that "B" meant all and only the
<serverInfo> element.  If we think that's not enough we need to make
that clear ASAP.  Also, I don't want to go down the path of making
anything optional, since harvesters need to know what they're likely
to get.

)_v__/\  "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend
	 to the death my right to sue you until you stop saying it"
	 -- the "church" of Scientology.