[Ex-plain] ElementSets == Schemas

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 16:52:36 CEST 2002

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:30:53 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > (Unless we decide to mandate that server which call themselves
> > "Explain-- servers" must use that precise schema for full records
> > ...  In other words, unless we profile it.)
>
> Isn't this just the place for setting extensions and 'pure'
> Explain--?
>
> EG F means give me your full, possibly extended, record and
> http://...  means give me an official record with no extensions.

Yes, spot on!

Ray (particularly), what's the status in the ZIG of this approach
where the element-set name, when used with a request for an XML
record, can be interpreted as a namespace-like unique schema
identifier?

And I ask again, is this way of "naming" small-s schemas already
widespread in the XML community?

> Also, version information about the schema can be encoded in the
> elementset.

OK.

> So for a version which has high level renamed elements, I think we
> should move to version 2.0 and make this distinction possible in the
> ESN field.

I guess.

)_v__/\  "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break
	 the habit of a lifetime for that prat" -- Ron Atkinson,
	 after WBA's UEFA Cup defeat to Red Star Belgrade.