[Ex-plain] ElementSets == Schemas

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Apr 11 16:30:53 CEST 2002

> > So elementset F and elementset http://explain.z3950.org/schemas/F/
> > are synonyms.
> Well, maybe.  That's up to the server, isn't it?  In the brave new
> world of XML schemas (lower-case), I think of "f" as meaning "Please
> give me whatever you consider to be the full record".  Which may or
> may not be the Official Explain-- Full Record.

Yes.

> (Unless we decide to mandate that server which call themselves
> "Explain-- servers" must use that precise schema for full records ...
> In other words, unless we profile it.)

Isn't this just the place for setting extensions and 'pure' Explain--?

EG F means give me your full, possibly extended, record and http://...
means give me an official record with no extensions.

Also, version information about the schema can be encoded in the
elementset.  So for a version which has high level renamed elements, I
think we should move to version 2.0 and make this distinction possible in
the ESN field.