[Ex-plain] ElementSets == Schemas

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 16:25:14 CEST 2002

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:29:30 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > But Ray/Rob, please confirm: the idea here is that this kind of
> > element-set name should be usable _as well as_ the more usual "f"
> > and "b" rather than instead ... right?
>
> Right.  There was some talk about how the F/B distinction is
> meaningless in practice [...]

... good job I wan't there ...

> [...] but no one suggested throwing them out.
>
> So elementset F and elementset http://explain.z3950.org/schemas/F/
> are synonyms.

Well, maybe.  That's up to the server, isn't it?  In the brave new
world of XML schemas (lower-case), I think of "f" as meaning "Please
give me whatever you consider to be the full record".  Which may or
may not be the Official Explain-- Full Record.

(Unless we decide to mandate that server which call themselves
"Explain-- servers" must use that precise schema for full records ...
In other words, unless we profile it.)

)_v__/\  "Do I understand you correctly, Professor Groves?  Surely
	 you're not advancing the astonishing theory that the mentality
	 of Neanderthal man compares favourably with that organ which
	 ten million years of evolution has developed in his modern
	 counterpart?" -- dialogue from "The Neanderthal Man".