[Ex-plain] Attribute Searches

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 20:54:44 CEST 2002

To search for a server that supports BIB2 author searches, I believe that
the 'correct' way to do this is the following:

search = true PROX 0,equals,element,false,false
(
  (
    attributeType = 1 PROX 0,equals,element,false,false
    attributeSet = XD PROX 0,equals,element,false,false
    attribute = 3
  )
 AND
  (
    attributeType = 2 PROX 0,equals,element,false,false
    attributeSet = BIB2 PROX 0,equals,element,false,false
    attribute = 2
  )
 AND
  (
    attributeType = 12 PROX 0,equals,element,false,false
    attributeSet = BIB2 PROX 0,equals,element,false,false
    attribute = aut
  )
)

But we (obviously) need access points for attributeType, attributeSet,
search, scan and sort. As well as authentication required, protocol,
version[1], and so forth.

1: I propose a 'version' attribute on serverInfo in the same way that
protocol is on it.  Equally we could call it protocolVersion, but that
seems to be obvious from context.