[Ex-plain] ZIG presentation

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Mon Apr 8 16:18:18 CEST 2002

> Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 18:34:40 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> It struck me today that langUsage is not the same beasty as all the
> others.  It concerns the language of the records. All of the other
> fields in databaseInfo concern the database as a whole.  This is
> more collection level description information?

I don't understand this distinction at all.

On another note --

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:03:17 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > Supporting encapsulation is a much bigger deal, or at least a much
> > less frequently supported deal, and piggy-backing on the Search
> > Request APDU.  I _think_ Ralph's right, and we should just include
> > a boolean saying whether piggy-backing is supported (per-server?
> > Per-DB?)
>
> It should be somewhere in the indexInfo element. Attribute on the
> indexInfo tag?

Really?  I find it _seriously_ hard to imagine a server which can
honour piggy-backed search/retrieve requests when the search is on an
`author' index, but not if it's on a `title' index.

Actually, I find it pretty hard to imagine a server that supports
piggy-backing on one _database_ and not another, since we're really
talking about a detail of mechanism.  But you can conceive a "server"
which is really a proxy, fanning out searches to a bunch of other
servers: maybe server A (which does piggy-backing) implements the
proxy's FOO databases, and server B (which does not) implements its
BAR database.

Conclusion: I think this is a per-databases boolean attribute.  That
leaves open the issue of whether it should go on the <serverInfo>
element (because it's to do with the mechanisms the server supports)
or the <database> or <databaseInfo> element (because it may vary
between databases.)

)_v__/\  "Don't you practise your alliteration on me!" -- Monty Python.