[Ex-plain] Re: [quinn@indexdata.dk: On Explain]

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Tue Apr 2 12:18:43 CEST 2002

> Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:00:30 -0800
> From: Lennie Stovel<mds at notes.rlg.org>
>
> My lack of facility with XML DTDs probably hampers my review of
> explain--.  Oh well. It *looks* general enough to handle the
> databases towards which bib-2 is oriented.

Hope so!  Thanks for your comments; you may not now see this response
until after the ZIG, but I'll send it in hope.

> My antennae went up at this statement in the DTD commentary:
>
> >6.1.6.2.1. The attributeSet attribute
>
> >The attributeSet attribute should contain the name of the attribute set
> >to be used for the search, as defined in the Maintenance Agency's list
> >at http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/oids.html#3. It defaults
> >to BIB-1 if not set explicitly.
>
> The name of *the* attribute set?  A given database might support bib-1,
> bib-2, and cross-domain. And to fully support bib-2, the database would
> have to support utility and cross-domain. So I'd say this statement needs
> expansion.

You're right, it needs expansion -- or rather, clarification.  This
attribute specifies the the attribute set of one particular attribute
rather than the a attribute set supported by a database: that's why
it's an attribute of the <attr> element itself that occurs inside
<map>.

So, for example, you'd specify that your database supports a search
for the cross-domain access point 1 (title) qualified with the BIB-2
semantic qualfier "series title" [which I made up -- don't have the
BIB-2 document to hand] as follows:

	<map>
	  <attr attributeSet="XD-1" type="1">1</attr>
	  <attr attributeSet="BIB-2" type="2">series title</attr>
	</map>

I hope that gives you what you need.

> Another point: I may or may not be a grown-up [...]

:-)

> [...] but I think it would be useful and not too time-consuming to
> mention (in Searching Explain-- Databases) the functional qualifiers
> in the utility set that would be used with the Record date/time
> access point. Unless you really really mean that any search using
> that access point is supposed to find *only* the modification date.

Actually, I did mean that, but maybe I should have spelled it out?
Or maybe that approach is Just Plain Wrong?  (I wrote that document in
a screaming hurry to get it out and critiqued before the ZIG.)

The thing to be aware of here is the distinction between searching
_for_ semantic qualifiers, because you want to find databases that
support them, and searching _using_ semantic qualifiers, because you
need more precision on searches in the IR-Explain---database.  The
former we do want to support; the latter, I don't _think_ we need.

But please shout if we've missed something.

> And a typo in Searching Explain-- Databases, under Cross-Domain
> Access Point 3: it says "Searches for the date specified in the
> <author> element".  Maybe it meant to say "Searches for the name
> specified in the <author> element"?

Thanks!  Stupid typo, now fixed.

> Sorry to hear you won't be at the ZIG meeting.

Not half as sorry as I am :-(  The good news is that Rob Sanderson
will be going as a representative of the Explain-- effort; he's been
deeply involved in the whole process and will, I'm sure, give a very
clear and compelling presentation.  And I hope that you've seen enough
BIB-2-friendliness in what we've built that you'll feel able to
support him :-)

Thanks again for your feedback.

)_v__/\  "There are many elements to story-telling: style, characters,
	 plot, ideas, etc.  Too many stories try to get by with only
	 one of these" -- Rheal Nadeau.